Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Hamlet - Dover - April 1990


While visiting England back in April of 1990, I made sure I revisited Dover Castle, a well known tourist attraction in those parts. I had been once before, as a wee-one back in 1967, so it was time, twenty three years later, to make the pilgrimage.

When I arrived at the main gate the security guard, a rather pleasant older chap, said to me with no hesitation, "you're in today for free, mate". Of course, I asked why... it could not have been the fact that I looked, walked, and quacked like a Canadian, especially since I had not even quacked at that point.

"Why?"

"Franco Zeffirelli's filming his new movie here."

"Neat."

One could not help but notice that a movie was being shot: There were a few facades placed in strategic locations, flags flapping from the turrets, and an artificial rocky addition to the castle's main entrance.

A few years later I showed some pictures I had taken to an aspiring art director friend of mine and her reaction was "I love this stuff... this is why I want to be an art director". (She is now one.)

The above caption could be "Film crew sets up a scene for Franco Zeffirelli's Hamlet".

When I unearth more pics I will put them up.

No comments: